Friday 3 May 2013

THE ORIGIN OF THE TITLE 'IGBARMAN OTAROK':

Many may have wondered why some body could opt for such a dread title. To many it's over ambition spurred by self styled pride. While some people considered the name as actualization of modern traditional religion spear headed by an unknown personality who is promoting pagan worship in Tarok land. Igbarman in Tarok means thunder and for a man in his late forties to accept it as both title and name is unfathomable.
After, so many years of silence and unprecedented attacks with criticisms, it is right time to break this silence for the benefit of humanity otherwise I owe nobody explanation for my actions or in actions.
   After the crisis that affected the Tarok nation from 2001 to 2005 with attendant consequences on socio-economic advancement, the Plateau State government conveyed Plateau Peace Conference with two delegates each from every ethnic nationality that configure the state. Late Chief Ezekiel Selzing and General Jeremiah Timbut Useni were elected to represent the Tarok nation at that history making assembly. These Tarok sons indeed made otarok proud because of the quality of presentation, debate and defence of issues that affected tarok interest. It should be noted that these two leaders were able to influence the thinking of other people of plateau to support the corporate interest of the state instead of viewing the crisis as a desirable consequences of Tarok expansionist tendencies. It was the contention of fulanis in Wase synchronized by some neighbouring ethnic nationalities that tarok nation has penchant for territorial expansion. it was speculated by mischievous historians that Langtang South belonged to the geomai but the tarok annexed it as their territory and that a demand for Kadarko Local Government was part of the grand design to expand their influence so as to take over Wase. This was the campaign of calumny that gathered momentum which exploded into full scale crisis. I will reserve another time to put in proper perspectives the history of Langtang South and Kadarko. At the close of deliberations, the conference determined the status of the state resolving that plateau belongs to the plateau entities and no any other group has concurrent interest with them.
   At this point, an octogenarian Hausa leader who sought for audience to address the Conference. After, serious debate, he was granted the right of audience. The submission of this Hausa elder formed the fulcrum of cultural revolution in my personal life. According to him, plateau people have confirmed their hypocrisy before the whole world. He stated further that plateau people have nothing culturally expect Hausa/fulani civilization. They used hausa language for communication, trade, social development and even to convert people to their religion. He argued that Hausa mode of dressing as been adopted for our traditional rulers, title holders, even coronation of of traditional rulers is based on Hausa traditions. According to the Hausa octogenarian, plateau people have no moral basis for disliking anything Hausa when they relied on hausa mode of dressing for outing. He said so many things that may seems derogatory but indeed they are hard facts. Having listened to this, I was infuriated that all while I have been pretending to be Tarok while in truth I was a colonized Hausa man.
   This development was the turning point in my world view of the role culture play in the development of true identity. I spent the whole night reflecting but finally resolved to be Tarok and not ugwai or nasara otarok. Also, I decided to champion a crusade for cultural consciousness with practice. To achieve this I needed something unique that people will dread it. Of course this has to go with an intimidating regalia that will subdue protagonist of either Hausa or the so called orchestrated western values. The title of IGBARMAN became obvious as the only weapon that can devastate all anti cultural forces.
   Therefore, I took the title by self and carried my igugor with a unique staff of office to match and that is the begging of great tribulations for me. There is no form of attack I had not face but because of my sincerity of purpose, all failed. Even some men of God had invoked holy ghost fire to consume me but heavens originated this revolution therefore, that was to no avail. To complement their mischief against this popular course, some people blackmailed me as not been a Christian. This did not deter me because, my spirit and the spirit of God bear witness that Iam a child of God. therefore, Igbarman need no human approval for my actions, since I know yhe God Iam serving.
   Envy became matured when some people noticed the rising popularity of my campaign, therefore, they dragged me before the late Ponzhi Tarok. The crime was that I gave myself a title but the Ponzhi asked them who was willing to accept the title and there was none. He therefore resolved that he has adopted the title of Igbarman for me and that I should prepare for formal coronation.
   I declined and thanked him for the honour done me by standing for justice. I appealed to him that let the title be celebrated only by Tarok people because my mission is not self seeking relevance but to effect a change. I also requested that Iam still young and will not stand to watch injustice perpetuated on the people, meaning I still spit fire then the corronation must be suspended if God spares my life to be an elder with grey hairs then I can accept coronation but for now let it be as suggested. The late Ponzhi appreciated my position and also wish me well as I contend with the challenges that goes with the title.
   The title today is the most famous in Tarok nation so much so that most people do not know my real name. My name is SOLOMON SELCAP DALUNG, the igbarman otarok, the only child of his mother and by the special grace of God a catalyst of social, political and cultural changes. I want to be remembered as somebody who had apportunity to live and live his live his own way. when I died I want tarok people to moun me by saying now that Igbarman is gone we can have breathing space, aga cit na ijul, because I know that my activities is thunderous but no retreat no surrender, the right thing must be done for human society to be better for all.
   I will conclude that you cannot be relevant in your society without selflessness. My great ambition in life is to be a Tarok leader and nothing else. Thank God today, there is no Tarok that don't know igbarman. To God be the glory. Amen.

1 comment: